[Opensim-dev] The Overte Foundation for OpenSimulator

Mike Chase mike.chase at alternatemetaverse.com
Thu Jun 30 13:19:56 UTC 2011

On 06/29/2011 09:21 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> As I'm sure everybody on these lists is aware, OpenSimulator currently
> has some restrictions on who can contribute code to the project
> (http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Contributions_Policy).
>

> In order to grant a copyright license there needs to be a receiving
> entity.  To this end, we are in the process of setting up an
> organisation known as the Overte Foundation.  The Overte Foundation
> will receive the copyright licenses and become the official
> distributor of OpenSimulator rather than individual core developers.
> This will put it in a good position to deal with code origin or other
> issues, if any should ever arise.
>
> Once the CLA is complete, the current contribution restrictions to
> OpenSimulator will be removed.  It will be down to each developer
> (including core developers) to affirm via the CLA that they have the
> necessary rights over the code that they are contributing.
>
> One advantage of going down the foundation route is that it will also
> be able to promote and support OpenSimulator in other ways, quite
> possibly incorporating members of the community other than just
> developers.  The foundation could also extend to cover other
> open-source virtual-environment/virtual-world projects and
> components.  In the short term, though, we will be concentrating on
> establishing the CLA.
>

> I will be acting as the first Overte Foundation president, with Diva
> as treasurer, Melanie as secretary and Nebadon and Ben as initial
> board members.  The foundation itself will not directly control
> OpenSimulator development - this will remain with the OpenSimulator
> team and community as it does now.
>
> Discussion about this is very welcome, whether supporting or
> critical.  I'm logging off now so will likely answer any points
> tomorrow.  Of course, other core developers are very welcome to chip in.
>
> Best,

Justin and team, I think this is a great move and a good start.  There
are a number of people who have been unable to contribute to the project
and hopefully this will address this abiliity.

I would like to add that an excellent additional goal for the foundation
would be to produce and maintain a roadmap for the elements under its
care.  Perhaps even a process for how a project is included, how it
moves between stages, etc.

For OpenSim itself I think the project has suffered a bit with the
"perpetual alpha" status and discussion towards and the publishing of a
roadmap that moves it out of that state and into some more mature state
would be welcome personally by me.   Of course the work is still done by
volunteers but if this move increases contribution level and the
foundation leadership shares vision in the form of a roadmap you may
find these new contributors willing to pitch in to make that vision a
reality.

Those kinds of things of course take time.   But I'd hope they could be
considered.  In the meantime congratulations on what I see personally as
an excellent first step!

Mike