[Opensim-dev] How?

Sean McNamara smcnam at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 02:39:03 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 9:53 PM, Tyler McMaster
<tylermcmaster at zontreckgrid.dyndns.tv> wrote:
> Ok, I'm trying to make a plugin for OpenSim that will launch at startup of opensim, not when regions are loaded, What module/dll or whatever do i use?

It depends on what kind of functionality you're trying to implement in
particular. But here's one way to go about it.

You can write a shared region module and implement the Initialise
method. A shared region module is a module that only gets instantiated
once at the beginning of OpenSim startup; a new instance is *not*
created for each region in the sim. The Initialise method is called as
soon as your module DLL is discovered by the OpenSim module loading
code on startup. If this is not early enough in the OpenSim startup
for your needs, then you will probably need to directly hack on
existing OpenSim files. Hopefully you won't have to hack on the main
method, because such code would only be merged to master if it does
something that is beneficial to all users of OpenSim.

For more (possibly outdated) info, check
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Getting_Started_with_Region_Modules --
but the page looks pretty relevant to me.

HTH,

Sean