[Opensim-dev] Proposal: cache compiled scripts across server restarts

Oren Hurvitz orenh at kitely.com
Sun Jun 19 13:23:07 UTC 2011

Cool.

Well, about not deleting the scripts: my proposal combined both a mechanism
("don't delete the scripts") and a policy ("don't delete if the version
isn't X"). How about I implement only the mechanism, and leave the policy to
the sim owner?

So, I would add a configuration option such as this one:

[XEngine]
    ;; Whether to delete previously compiled scripts when the sim starts. If
the compiled scripts aren't
    ; deleted then startup will be faster, but this might cause
incompatibilities if OpenSim was updated
    ; since the scripts were compiled.
    DeleteScriptsOnStartup = true

Then, the only code change is to check this flag before calling
DeleteOldFiles().