[Opensim-dev] [opensource-dev] Where is MXP implementation ?

Toni Alatalo toni at playsign.net
Fri Jan 21 14:18:51 UTC 2011

On Jan 21, 2011, at 2:04 PM, Rustam Rakhimov wrote:
> but, can u tell me same thing but for RealXtend, not Naali. Just i was working with RealXtend Viewer and
> i still didn't switch to Naali. So i want to know which part in RealXtend was doing functionality of MXP

ok, we call that app 'rexviewer' or 'the old realxtend viewer prototype' to avoid confusion :) .. realXtend being the project that has later made Naali after that quick&dirty prototyping.

rexviewer does not talk MXP, in fact there we didn't touch the UDP level networking on the viewer at all -- just use it. so it only talks LLUDP with the original slviewer code. the old rexprotocol uses mostly the LLUDP generic messages for the new features, and some new LLUDP message was made to optimize movement of many objects.

i tested implementing MXP a little by integrating it a bit to openviewer (pyov) when we were starting on Naali two years ago, was fun enough. used pythondotnet to do that, calling the c# reference implementation. one guy here promised to the mxp guys to integrate it to Naali when they provide a c++ lib, but they didn't but asked us to write it instead, and it wasn't the right time for that for us back then.

now it can be that knet is better for the transport level than mxp. we chose knet because it behaved better than enet. knet is just the transport, though, does not have the bubbles etc.  Virtual World stuff on top which MXP has. we figured separating these two levels is good. mxp could probably be implemented on top of knet if someone wanted. of course integrating MXP as is to Naali is possible too.

i have never looked at the slviewer code due to the opensim contribution policy (lludp in naali is written from scratch), but have heard from others that adding a new protocol there is not easy (to put it mildly).

and yes the c# idealist viewer has the only actual mxp implementation of the opensim related viewers.

~Toni