[Opensim-dev] remote admoin wiki page

Argus argus at archimuh.de
Tue Dec 13 00:02:46 UTC 2011

1) I agree on renaming the SceneContainsRegion() and already was
thinking of CheckRegionParametersInScene() to mach with
CheckStringParameters(). I also think adding it after
CheckStringParameters() would group them nicely.

2) SceneContainsRegion() is just as clumsy as it was before. Once the
variations of region_id is removed it will look slighty leaner, hehe.

3) about 3/4 is using some variation of region_id. In the end its less
work for us having all variation allowed for this short timeperiod
instead of changing 3/4 twice. Neewbies will start off using region_id
while everyone else can change their code whenever they have time for
this. Immidiatly changing the very small variations meens one has a
deadline with no transitional phase...  and I would be one of those
affected by this change ;) If someone wants to use a variation for the
time beeing, well, its not our time being wasted.

4) Yes, lots of existing identical text is beeing replaced by identical
text. The command functions are however much leaner. On avarage we are
replacing 20 lines of identical code with 9 short identical code lines.
All together the patch has more code in the end, because not all
commands did accept region_id AND region_name, and neither did they
return the error parameter. One could add the error parameter and the
exeption to SceneContainsRegion() which would shorten it even more, but
one can also use SceneContainsRegion() to check if a region does not
exist when the exeption is not thrown within SceneContainsRegion().
Another improvement is, that we have equal error messages in all
commands when a region is not found.

--
Justin, little off topic... I am working on implementing a bigger number
of new commands to RemoteAdmin. Would you prefer 1 big Patch or each