[Opensim-dev] [opensim 0005007]: Some scripts require installing more than the default mono release

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Mon Sep 27 01:29:41 UTC 2010

Hi,

first off, it's not a change in mono. It's a change in how
distributions package mono. It means that the Debian packagers seem
to be at fault.

Mono is monolithic, you can NOT break it up into a mono-runtime and
mono-develop or mono-complete package. Mono contains the CodeDom
methods and some of the methods DO call the compiler, which is
assumed to be there.

Not including the compiler cripples mono and the packagers need to
be slapped around with a large trout, and more than just a bit.

OpenSim will always need mono-complete, or whatever the name is that
the packagers give the package that contains the compiler and libraries.

OpenSim compiles scripts programmatically, on a crippled system,
e.g. one without a compiler, this will NOT work.

This is not OpenSim's fault.

As for IRC, you join the appropriate channel and ask your question.

Don't say "Hi". Don't ask "Can I ask a question?". Don't ask "Are
there any devs here?". Don't expect a reply to any of those.

So, ask your question. Then stay online and wait. Most of us log
IRC, or stay logged in 14/7. We scroll back to look for questions
and answer them. Of course, this can be 10 hours later. We won't
bother answering a question if the asker has left since then. We
also don't answer irrelevant, inappropriate or misplaced questions.

Ask user questions in #OpenSim. Do not ask them in #OpenSim-dev,
they will be ignored there.

Easy, isn't it?

You can't expect to come in, ask a question, get an answer, and log
out. If you're not willing or able to stay logged in to IRC until
there is an answer for you, we have this mailing list.

Melanie