[Opensim-dev] Problem with the bots

it at nii.ac.jp it at nii.ac.jp
Tue Sep 7 04:07:33 UTC 2010

Hello,

Thanks a lot for the answer Dan. Now I know what to expect. And I have another question.
You are talking about independant bots, do you mean that you can control each bot in a single Testclient instance independantly ? (for instance, make a bot move forward while another move backward, or don't move ?)

To do so, I wasn't using testclient put the opensim Scenepresence Object (scenepresence.controlingclient) that enable to actually have indepedant bots.

I would like to know how independant are you bots.

Thanks you very much

IT

It takes TestClient 5-15 minutes to bake 25 clients if they are all logging in at the same time (depends on hardware and other load on the client box). In our experiments, we use several multi-core servers each running multiple TestClient processes where each process hosts 25 bots. We can usually log in 500-1000 bots to our grid within 20 minutes and get all of them fully baked and ready for action. Instead of running 100 bots in a single TestClient, consider running 4 TestClients and have each one connect 25 bots. TestClient uses lightweight threads to handle packets from the simulator and if you have 100 bots moving around then there are a LOT of packets to process. A machine with more cores or hardware threads will improve your experience dramatically when simulating lots of independent bots in TestClient.

~Dan