[Opensim-dev] Global identifiers

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 18:11:09 UTC 2010

I see several converging efforts here. The original OGP work by IBM and
Linden Lab only allowed a "teleport" to occur, however it was not the same
as a teleport which may occur on either normal SL or normal OpenSim. This
"teleport", was overseen by a central authority which was a closed source
"Administrative Domain" implementation on one of the LL test grids which
essentially created a guest presence bearing the same avatar name on a
OpenSim region located outside of LL, while terminating the equivalent
presence on the LL test grid. Since the presence created on OpenSim shared
little in common with the presence on the LL region other than avatar name,
the user avatar on OpenSim looked like a default avatar and had a default
inventory containing only guest items. It's unclear to me if this was
intentional by design or simply a yet-to-be-designed feature that may have
been marketed by LL with implications of content security for existing
Second Life content.

I remember many people at the time expressed concern about LL's closed
source Administrative Domain implementation and related OGP discussions
about open implementations being a necessary prerequisite for a standard.
There were a few attempts at open implementations outside of LL but I'm not
aware of any of them being complete and in use by the time the OGP efforts
were rebranded as VWRAP and the charter for the standardization efforts
changed significantly. In the meantime LL's demonstration implementation
appeared to no longer be developed and stopped working a few months after
being opened for beta participation. Later OGP and VWRAP discussions
included the possibility of shared inventory and appearance but I've not
seen any implementation work which may support it other than SimianGrid
which has been developed outside of LL and only loosely coupled with the
VWRAP efforts, and was started long after LL work on OGP waned.

Hypergrid took another approach. There was no overseeing authority or "agent
domain" other than a OpenSim region operator enabling the service, and the
presence shared between hypergrid regions was much more like a traditional
presence and allowed avatar appearance and user inventory to accompany the
avatar when visiting foreign regions. My impression was that the users
involved found hypergrid to be a much more user-friendly experience,
possibly because of the shared appearance and inventory.

My personal impression was that LL had little business incentive at the to
bring OGP or VWRAP to fruition but I continued to participate and follow
because I was seeing an effort towards publishing open protocols and I felt
these would be of value to the OpenSim community. On the other hand the
OpenSim community did have an incentive to implement Hypergrid and have a
means of inter-operating independent of regards to LL business interests. I
suspect part of the aversion towards participation in OGP or VWRAP by many
OpenSim community members may have been due to the controlling influence LL
had assumed in these groups. Given the unfortunate circumstance of the LL
layoffs, and with the willingness demonstrated by a few ex-LL employees
towards continuing work on these standards, perhaps now bygones can be
bygones and the VWRAP and Hypergrid efforts can better benefit from each
other.

just my $0.02
-dahlia