[Opensim-dev] From today, version 1.0 OAR files cannot be loaded into OpenSim 0.7.0.2 and earlier

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 16 06:15:08 UTC 2010

On 16/10/10 06:34, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:
> On 10/16/10 1:12 AM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>>
>> If you want to produce OARs that can be loaded on OpenSim with current
>> master code, you must specify --version=0 on the command line, e.g.
>>
>> save oar --version=0 oars/my.oar
>
> The above is confusingly worded. You make it sound like you need to
> specify --version=0 in order to make an oar that can be loaded into
> OpenSim that's running master code, and then you say the opposite, below.

It's all academic anyway.  It turns out that through a quirk of fate, older versions of OpenSim can load the changed
object serialization format after all.

Therefore, I've removed the --version switch from master again and just bumped the OAR version to 0.4 instead, which
signals backwards compatible change.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if the object serialization format is changed in a backwards incompatible manner in the
near future.

>> This will create an older (pre-today) style 0.3 OAR which can be loaded
>> into older OpenSim versions. There is currently no advantage in creating
>> a 1.0 OAR rather than a 0.3 one.
>>
>> OpenSim master code and the forthcoming OpenSim 0.7.1 will be able to
>> load both 0.3 and 1.0 OARs.
>
> -ste (smxy)

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org