[Opensim-dev] If MIcrosoft buys LL, impact on OpenSIm?

Rob Nelson nexisentertainment at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 23:51:25 UTC 2010

  On 9/30/2010 3:45 PM, Kesick, Nicholas Charles wrote:

> It seems you know very little about Windows Server operations, and
> who's to say Microsoft would come in and change all of the underlying
> OSes?
>
> I wouldn't recommend runing LINUX with Opensim on anything less than
> 4GB (production), and Windows Server Core is a very robust and light
> system, of which I would still run on 4GB. Server Core weighs less on
> my server than Fedora or Ubuntu Server.
>
> But consider first, the advantage of connection speeds that would be
> available to Second Life with Microsoft as the owner.  Right now
> Linden Labs has been building server centers and their fiber "LL
> Net".  Now Micorosft walks in. Here's 400x the server power with
> datacenters in many states, and 10000x the bandwidth around the world.
> Tada! Lag time between client and server gone, especially with
> international users.
>
> Microsoft also has the assets to help the education sector, which has
> been having more and more trouble staying with Second Life because of
> a lack of support.
>
> So, don't just write it off because of the OS. Remember the other
> assets they have, like internet connections and good management skills.
>
> - Nicholas Kesick
>
> Now at kesickn09 at students.ecu.edu <mailto:kesickn09 at students.ecu.edu>!

Oh, I do, and I shall.  I managed a Windows Server 2003-based Active
Directory network for the City, and then had my own Win Serv 2003 Active
Directory network at home while first setting up my application hosting
service.  Despite having a hardware firewall and allowing automatic
updates, I had to clear out worms every 3 weeks and was on the edge of
buying more RAM.  I have since switched to Linux-based hosting and have
never looked back.

And I have successfully run OpenSim on three 1GB RAM Pentium 4 @
3.0GHz.  I ran two regions each, yes, but sacrificing quantity for
quality is a lot cheaper than shelling out for new servers.