[Opensim-dev] [opensim-dev] interfaces to opensim for sensor network data

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 27 02:13:37 UTC 2010

On 26/11/10 18:30, Richard Hackathorn wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 23:51:23 +0000. Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>  > As the other responses have indicated, I don't think there's yet a a ready-baked solution for this but rather a number
>  > of different approaches which each have their pros and cons (using llHTTPResponse, communicating via script with a
>  > backend region module via modSendCommand(), adding new OSSL functions).
>  >
>  > I'll also add the approach of using a region module to directly create/move/delete scene objects without any LSL/OSSL
>  > scripting.  This has both disadvantages (can't be transferred to SL, written in C#, poor OpenSim internals/module
>  > documentation) but also advantages (no need to shuttle state between scripts and a backend module, no need to
>  > co-ordinate scripts running on multiple threads, direct access to all OpenSim functionality, easier automated
> testing, etc.)
>
> On 24/11/10 13:00, CJ Davies wrote:
>  > I'm working on a cross-reality project that collects data from a wireless sensor network (running the TinyOS
>  > environment) & presents it to an opensim server such that the data may affect the state of the simulation (e.g. a light
>  > turning on in the real world is detected by a sensor & causes a light in the simulation to also turn on).
>  >
>  > Can anybody link me to any information on what available interfaces there are for presenting the sensor data to opensim?
>  > I've been googling but can't seem to come up with a suitable search string to return what I'm actually looking for! I
>  > presume there must be several opensim interfaces in a few different languages?
>
> Great discussion that CJ Davies initiated. Thanks!
>
> I am working on a project to create abstract 'data worlds' based on structures in a relational database. Justin's
> proposed approach would be great! If there is anything I can contribute (testing, documentation), please ask...Justin.

Lo-fi public visualization in OpenSim is an interest of mine.  There has been some interesting stuff done via scripting
on the Linden grid but I think there's also a lot of potential for the server-side approach (because of the advantages
outlined previously).

In fact, next year I hope to improve the documentation and facilities in this area, since I think it has the potential
to enable a lot of stuff.  Documentation, testing and patches will be much appreciated!

In the meantime, if there are any questions about manipulating OpenSim from the region module side please feel free to
ask and I will do my best to answer them, time and knowledge permitting.  I have good knowledge of how to do certain
things on master and 0.7.0.2 and less the further back you go in release time.

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org