[Opensim-dev] Clarification on Licencing and Moving Forward as a Community

Crista Lopes lopes at ics.uci.edu
Tue Nov 2 00:13:32 UTC 2010

On 11/1/2010 2:58 PM, Karen Palen wrote:
> Is that advice documented somewhere?

Whatever the original legal advice was, it resulted in the current rules
described here:
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Contributions_Policy

For the past year or so, we have been consulting informally with a
lawyer based in San Diego who is very much inside the issues. When we
inquired about relaxing the restrictive rules, including the 6-month
quarantine, he reinforced the need for those rules.

We don't have a formal engagement with this lawyer yet, because the
project is not an official organization, and none of us is acting on its
behalf. So his advice has been informal, including a disclaimer in his
emails saying "This is not legal advice," and his choosing which
questions to answer. Hence it's not appropriate to make his emails
public. People here should feel free to consult with your own lawyers,
formally or informally, and find out what they say about these issues.

Based on what we heard from him, it looks like all core devs have now
come to the conclusion that the only route away from the current
restrictions is to form a non-profit and have that be the umbrella for
all these legal issues, including engaging with this lawyer officially.
Once documents can be signed officially, things can potentially become a
lot cleaner and a lot less restrictive -- the right way.