[Opensim-dev] Clarification on Licencing and Moving Forward as a Community

Ai Austin ai.ai.austin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 21:39:02 UTC 2010

Folks, you may be missing the point... LL made the viewer source
LGPL, changing the previous restrictive GPL.  That means that
previous legal advice and inputs are not relevant any longer. LGPL is
a good thing for us.  I tried to persuade the Project Wonderland
folks they should go for LGPL for educators, but I don't think they
really understood the deterrent of custom licences and the positive
value of LGPL.

Note though that a lot of addons and modules needed to build the
viewer still have their own licence term, and may not be as flexible
as LGPL, some like Vivox are of course not redistributable at all.

http://hg.secondlife.com/viewer-development/src/00a831292231/doc/LICENSE-source.txt

I note Aurora already changed its name to Kokua...
http://imprudenceviewer.org/2010/11/01/announcing-the-kokua-project/