[Opensim-dev] GPL / BSD licensing dangers

Mark Malewski mark.malewski at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 14:03:08 UTC 2010

Mike,

*> Diva, your message as worded sounds to me like you *
*> would accept contributions so long as there were no *
*> GPL licensed code in the submission. *

Not sure what you read (or misunderstood), or where you would have derived
that conclusion from, but from what I just read from Diva's previous post,
it seems to be that you're completely wrong in your assumption.  Where did
you draw that conclusion from?  I don't think Diva said ANYTHING like that
in her post.

Diva simply stated:

*> **Hence, the "no risks" rule. We do not take patches from anyone *
*> who is actively involved in the development of viewers from the *
*> LL viewer family.*
*

I'm not sure what you "misunderstood" but it seems that Diva is simply just
saying/repeating the same exact thing, and the way that it's always been.
 No contributions from those working on the LL viewer.

>If, however, you are talking about your own modules that aren't part *
*>of the official OpenSim distribution, then OpenSim has no say *
*>about it -- do whatever you want. No one here is in a position to *
*> give legal advice.*

Diva is strictly referring to OpenSim core, not any individual's personal
modules.  This is just core.  As for a person's individual modules, that is
up to the individual.

> Modules external to core of course don't carry any prohibition.
> In doing that I'm simply using API's the project has provided
> and how I conform to licenses involved is my business.

I believe that is exactly what Diva has said (in her own words).  Modules
external to core don't carry any prohibition (they are beyond the scope of
OS core) and it's up to the individual writing their own personal module to
comply with any licensing compatibility "issues", but from what I just read
- the stand as far as core is concerned still stays the same.

No patches from those involved in the development of viewers from the LL
viewer family.

*> **Hence, the "no risks" rule. We do not take patches from anyone *
*> who is actively involved in the development of viewers from the *
*> LL viewer family.*
*
*
******
Seems pretty clear.  I believe it might not hurt to say that "development"
would be considered anyone that looks at or reads the LL viewer code.  So
choose one or the other (viewer development side, or server development
side) but we've always tried to draw a line in the sand and keep the two
sides divided (just to protect the project from any IP/copying issues).

If you're looking for a BSD compatible viewer, and don't want to deal with
any "GPL" issues at all, then look at Naali.  You can work on both Naali and
OpenSim at the same time, as they are both BSD license based, and you don't
have the license compatibility issues that were faced with the old LL-based
viewers.

*> **OpenSIM core can't include GPL'd code into the BSD licensed core*

There is no GPL'd code in the BSD licensed core.  It's the same as it's
always been.

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Contributions_Policy