[Opensim-dev] GPL / BSD licensing dangers

Dickson, Mike (ISS Software) mike.dickson at hp.com
Wed Jun 30 13:25:02 UTC 2010

Ok, this is a slightly different position than I've heard before...

The issue of simple code inclusion is well defined IMO, OpenSIM core can't include GPL'd code into the BSD licensed core without running afoul of the GPL.  That's a simple license compatibility issue.  But in the past what I've heard is that you don't want contributions from people who have read or worked on viewer code because of concerns of copying IP (that is... knowing something about the client implementation might taint the server code because I'd use that info when implementing a server change).    Is that not the case?  Diva, your message as worded sounds to me like you would accept contributions so long as there were no GPL licensed code in the submission. I.E. Your issue is no direct code copying, not intellectual property related.

Modules external to core of course don't carry any prohibition.  In doing that I'm simply using API's the project has provided and how I conform to licenses involved is my business.

Mike