[Opensim-dev] OpenSim - What's Taking so long

enslerklaar at holotech.net enslerklaar at holotech.net
Fri Jul 9 14:44:29 UTC 2010

> I think you're a bit confused as to what Open Simulator is (and what it
> isn't).

> Seems pretty foolish.  Stupid people do stupid things.

> If you're going to beat your drum, and try to conjur up money, then
> at least screw your head on straight and try to get a grasp on what
> it is that you're trying to accomplish.

Holy cow, is this what people get for asking how they can help with
OpenSim? Drew came along, asking how non-coders can help, and
presented fundraising as one possibility, and gets suspicion,
hostility and downright insults.

> We have no clue what direction you are trying to head....

Just recently someone was asking for an OpenSim roadmap, and the
consensus was "We don't really have one." Now we get people screaming
"DON'T TREAD ON OUR ROADMAP!"

The issues raised are certainly valid, and it's perfectly fine to say,
"It's not as straightforward as you may think," but this type of
response is completely uncalled for.

I've been planning to invest a substantial amount of my own money in
OpenSim, and would have been asking here how best to do it; apparently
the best advice in this thread is "fork off".

> Those people that actually paid money for a Facebook Clone are
> probably some of the dumbest people I've ever seen.

P.S. Diaspora isn't a "Facebook clone". It's an entirely different
approach to social networking, and quite a good idea, I think.

--
Ensler Klaar

On Friday, July 9, 2010, 3:35:39 AM, you wrote:

*>>  is the use of the name Open Simulator.*

> [...]

> that wants it.

> Take a look at realXtend, SciSim, or OSGrid (among others).

> If you're unhappy with the physics, then that's certainly one area that
> could use some help.  You can always hire a private developer or offer
> Melanie, or Adam Frisby (or any of the others that do core work) and see if
> they would be interested in helping you improve a few aspects of the core.

> If you're looking to raise funds, it would probably be better to ask others
> to donate to or support "OSGrid" or support "realXtend" or support "SciSim"
> (or support a UCB Research Project).  As most of those groups are already
> organizations (legal entities) and it wouldn't be good to just start
> throwing words like "OpenSimulator" around.  realXtend does a lot of work
> based on OpenSim.  They've added support for Ogre3d, and various other
> things.  Talk to them about what you'd like to see added to their
> distribution (or maybe you want something added to the Diva distribution)
> but figure out what it is that you're trying to accomplish first.

> If you are trying to have a feature or something added, then just discuss it
> here.  If you can manage to raise some major financial support, then you
> could always fund a private developer (or two or three) to do some work
> (Dev's such as Adam Frisby, Melanie, etc. have all done "work for hire" in
> the past)

> What is it that you're exactly looking to do?  Do you want a live vegetation
> system?  Do you want better Physics?  Do you want a combat system?  Do you
> want objects that can be blown up and destroyed?  Do you want a better
> viewer?  Do you want tessellation support?

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G9anRoYGko

> What exactly is it that you're trying to accomplish by asking others for
> money?

> Keep in mind that some of the things you may want, may not even be possible.
>  What is it that you want OpenSim to do, that it doesn't do already?

> It would probably be smart to sit down and figure out a long list of
> features that you'd like to see added first, and then talk to several Dev's
> about how many man hours, and what it would cost to have those features
> developed, and then once you have some numbers then begin to talk to
> prospective donors about helping towards the effort.

> Just bantering about raising money (for something that you have no clue what
> the objective even is) or who you're even trying to give the money to, seems
> to make no sense at all.

> I'm not trying to discourage you, but think before you jump.

> Those people that actually paid money for a Facebook Clone are probably some
> of the dumbest people I've ever seen.

> Just a simple google search would turn about about 7,000+ hits on various
> "Facebook Clones" that are readily available for download.

> http://drupal.org/node/339148

> Paying $10,000+ to build another one probably wasn't the smartest thing to

*>> that should make using the name okay *

> I wouldn't represent yourself as "OpenSim" or "OpenSimulator" or as
> belonging to OpenSim, but instead I would say that you are "Billy Bob's
> Virtual Development Company" or "Billy Bob's Virtual Research, Inc." and you
> are just looking to improve the OpenSim core, and you're looking to hire a
> few developers to improve the OpenSim core and possibly come out with your
> own distribution, or possibly help fund someone else's distribution
> (realXtend, SciSim, Diva, etc.)

*>> Or if anyone has other ideas on how non-programmers *
*>> can help the code move along*