[Opensim-dev] OpenSim - What's Taking so long

Drew Hart drewehart at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 14:38:22 UTC 2010

Okay, that was my catchy title that in no way means any disrespect.  I love
OpenSim, have used it for years, tell everyone I meet about it and am a huge
fan and supporter.  Recently a question was asked about a roadmap and
progress.  I would like to expand on that.  OpenSim has now been around for
a while - like years.  Yet I can't really use it for clients.  So here is my
question.  As a non-coder, how can others help.  For example, I would gladly
donate some decent money if there were a coordinated fundraising event and a
plan to hire a couple of full-time, very qualified developers to really move
this along.

Please, please, please don't take this the wrong way.  This is NOT a
criticism.  I know this is done by volunteers and I know that this is more
ambitious than Second Life, but have we looked at other solutions to move
the process along.  I think there are a lot of people like me who would
contribute.  But, and I stress this.  Me donating say $1,000 by myself isn't
going to do anything.  We would need a serious fundraising drive, and
specific and talented people that we could hire full-time as
consultants/coders to really move this along.

I would imagine I am not the first to suggest this.  But every day I see
this awesome product I want to use, yet it seems months or years away from
stable wide-spread use.

There are now several web sites that help in fundraising.  I am sure many of
you read about the NYU students that raised several hundred thousand dollars
in a short time so they could spend their summer coding a Facebook clone
(sort of).  Now if 4 undergrads can get that kind of money for a Facebook
clone, why hasn't OpenSim tried something similar.  These fundraising sites
are hot right now - let's take advantage of them!

Please read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/12/nyregion/12about.html

The article was written before they raised much more money.
<http://community.nytimes.com/comments/www.nytimes.com/2010/05/12/nyregion/12about.html?scp=3&sq=nyu%20programmers&st=cse>

Drew