[Opensim-dev] Feature Request: Smart Regions - Idle Region Timeouts and "On The Fly" loading/unloading of inactive idle regions

Peter Newman wizarth at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 03:38:54 UTC 2010

Fractal generation doesn't have to be expensive. I've done some myself,
in OpenSim.

This is my generated continent:
http://www.wizarth.com.au/gallery2/v/Game/WorldMap.png.html

The image is made using the same free noise generation lib as the
in-OpenSim terrain (not imported as height maps, generated in a region
module). Last time I booted it, it was as a 10x10 set of regions, but
this turned out to be too small for what I want to do with it. In the
same way, I could have this in a single region (but the resolution
wouldn't do it justice).

Smart regions would be useful for my end goal for this, but as observed,
there is a lot more work pending on this happening.

Peter N