[Opensim-dev] JSON or XML for serialization in the OpenSim database?

Teravus Ovares teravus at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 23:23:19 UTC 2010

Not a whole lot of feedback here yet, maybe people are on a long
weekend type camping vacation..

I'm partial to OSD/json, myself.    I'd also like to, at some point,
get a version number in there along with a definition of the format
for people who want to write integration tools..    however, that last
bit may be more of a 1.0 thing.

I think a lot of tools are going to go the way of JavaScript in the
future for various reasons...   one being that..   it's generally
implemented in all web enabled devices.   Computers, 'tablets', 'smart
phones'...   Another reason is it's more compact, while still being
fairly human readable.     One last reason that I can think of at this
moment is there are no external dependencies that 'get lost and turn
into a 404', like with XML Schemas.   I've done several XML based
integrations using REST and noted that in 55% of the cases, the
defining schema is a 404 which makes validation and automatic creation
of XML Serialization classes impossible.  Worse, in 15% of the cases,
extensions are defined in the schema and then used in the XML..  Only,
you won't ever know what tags and parameters the extensions provide
because the schema is 'missing'.

Regards

Teravus