[Opensim-dev] User services refactoring status

Cristina Videira Lopes lopes at ics.uci.edu
Fri Jan 8 22:51:01 UTC 2010

On Jan 8, 2010, at 1:46 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
> Writing good documentation is just as much a part of a good
> programmer's role as writing the code
> itself.

Documentation is superlinear with the code.

Good documentation is not just a collection of disconnected articles
covering the different parts of the system -- i.e. bottom-up. That's
what happened so far, and the results show. Good documentation
requires a top-down approach, i.e. someone needs to think about the
TOC, set the tone for the document (extremely important!), and make
sure language is consistent all over the place. Then the different
parts can be filled up. Without this planning and continuous
supervision of the document, the independent documentation efforts of
the parts are bound to be a disaster as a whole, and highly
ineffective in isolation (because nothing is ever isolated).

(Academic interjection: that's one of the main reasons why
documentation is at odds with early-stage development that follows
agile practices, especially in projects where there is no single point
of control. One is top-down, the other is bottom-up.)

There's no question that the only people who can write the TOC, and
set the tone, are the core devs plus 4 or 5 other people who are very
familiar with OpenSim. But I think that there is a larger number of
people who can fill in the parts -- as we can see from the wiki --
except that we haven't been guiding them well, because... we haven't
been guiding anything so far, things were too much in flux. I think
we're reaching a point where this kind of coordinated effort can occur.