[Opensim-dev] User services refactoring status

diva at metaverseink.com diva at metaverseink.com
Fri Jan 8 20:16:50 UTC 2010

It's there, but it's scattered and incomplete, as everything else.
One of us will have to start this effort, but there is no way that core
devs alone will be able to put the bulk of the documentation together.
We can, for example, start with the Table of Contents, write the
introductory parts, but then some volunteers will have to step up and
start figuring out what to write in there. Speaking for myself, I have
no time for both coding/testing and heavy-duty documentation. It's not
that I don't think documentation is not important -- it is -- it's just
lack of time. Writing good documentation takes as much time as writing
code. If someone here really wants to help the project, doesn't code but
writes English well... consider volunteering as a documenter! -- it's
fun, you get to try OpenSim in all sorts of modes, so that you know how
it works and what to write, and you also get to pick on core devs'
brains. I know for a fact that many of you here are already advanced
enough in OpenSim configuration and testing that you could do this very
effectively...

Anyway, if I had a say in it, my preference would be to do the bulk of
the documentation effort between 0.7 and 1.0. After 0.7 gets tagged, and
if no one beats me to it, I'll do a draft of the TOC, and then ppl will
have a better idea of what's needed.

(FYI, here are the pieces currently about ROBUST, but this needs to be
revised, anyway.
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Services_and_Service_Connectors
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/ROBUST
)