[Opensim-dev] User services refactoring status

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Thu Jan 7 22:15:12 UTC 2010

Impalah Shenzhou kirjoitti:
> http://www.dotnetnuke.com/
> Is a CMS (like Alfresco, Drupal, Joomla...) but runs over .NET. It
> shouldn't be too difficult to connect the native Opensim components to
> get/set data instead of accessing directly to database.

It is also possible to use some of the Python written CMSes and web
frameworks (Django and such) and the Opensim .net code together.
I'd do it with pythondotnet, which is a .net to Python bridge for the
normal cpython that allows use of .net libs in py apps. I've used that
to use LibOMV in Blender before - it runs the normal .net vm under the
hood and just translates the types passed/returned in the method calls,
performance has seemed ok and would certainly be fine for the management
stuff I can imagine.

Another option would be IronPython, some folks have tried running Django
on it: http://jdhardy.blogspot.com/2008/12/django-ironpython.html but
afaik that is still incomplete - probably some simpler web frameworks
work fully on it already.

To me using the opensim code instead of direct access to DB seems
attractive, given that the schemas may change, and that it's easy to
make a mess if have bugs in own code that work with the db differently
than Opensim itself?

~Toni