[Opensim-dev] User services refactoring status

Chris Hart Chris at codetorque.co.uk
Tue Jan 5 16:35:16 UTC 2010

For serious uses, absolutely I wouldn't recommend SQLite, but put
yourselves in the mind of the end user - or even someone wanting to just
get up and running with minimum of fuss. Why should I install a database
server platform on my machine? It'll be running on startup, eating my
resources, it's an extra "thing" I don't want to care about - I just
want to try OpenSim. SQLite is a wonderful quick and simple introduction
and it means you can easily carry an OpenSim install on a memory stick
with minimum fuss.

I would be gutted if SQLite was ditched because no-one cared to update
it - I'm already committed to maintaining MSSQL, which I'll happily do,
but SQLite needs love too. I have very little time to spare, would love
a volunteer to step forward and help out on keeping it alive...

I appreciate the point that shipping broken code as part of an
application is a terrible idea - only encouraging people to get
frustrated and angry that their application doesn't work. But some
features need to be fixed, not just ditched - I vote that this is one of
them.

Chris