[Opensim-dev] Status of presence refactor?

diva at metaverseink.com diva at metaverseink.com
Mon Feb 22 15:38:18 UTC 2010

Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
> Out of interest, why is this?

Well, what I said isn't the only possible route. Here's the technical
issue, then I'll explain the two ways to go at it. But then I have a
question and a warning to whoever uses SQLite.

Due to SQLite connection management constraints, the authorization data
is being stored in a separate file than the user account data file.
Different connections ==> different files, or things won't work.
Conversely, one file ==> one connection, but that would mean having to
merge the data layers for user accounts and authorization in SQLite, not
pretty. Auth being on a separate file than the "old" userprofile db,
data can't be copied over automatically. So, two ways to go at this:

1) Run without any pre-action, reset the password, then the right auth
data will be placed in the right file. (this is what I meant in my
previous email, runs without pre-action)

2) Use the old userprofiles.db as the basis for both the new
useraccounts table and the auth tables. In other words, copy
userprofiles.db to auth.db, then run. I have a migration in auth that
will copy the auth data over to the auth table from the old users table.

But now, the question. Why do you think that people running OpenSim over
SQLite have multiple user accounts, like one expects from people running
a real DB? Can you give me some rough numbers for who is doing that?

I was under the impression that SQLite is being used for quick trials
and for single-person worlds. I would *strongly* discourage people from
using SQLite-powered OpenSims as if this was a sustainable multi-user
configuration. It's not. It will bomb. Mantis #4437 is a good example of
SQLite bombing on people. Had a bug like that affected MySQL, it would
have been fixed in no time. It affecting SQLite, the issue has been open
for over 2 months, and the fix is not in sight. More than SQLite
performing poorly, which it does for large DBs, the main danger here is
the lack of support for when things go wrong.