[Opensim-dev] How Was OpenSim "Born"?

Frisby, Adam adam at deepthink.com.au
Fri Feb 12 01:37:31 UTC 2010

I think it's probably missing some of the really ancient history, eg:

Mid-2006: Me/JH work out chunks of the SL protocol from Ethereal dumps
... then we were told by another outside-of-SL [Rade someone?] developer that SL has its entire protocol stored in a file called 'message_template.dat' which is just a .txt file xor'd 0x43.
Slightly later: We (mostly JH) write a basic client in C++ using BOOST.
... which turned out to be a complete unmitigated mess of thread crashes ...
Then take 2 is written in C#/.NET and gets a lot further, a lot faster.
Jan 17th-ish 2007: Darren/MW writes a simple server using libsl as the base; a lot of it is based on 'repeating' captured packet dumps in response to situations.
Jan 2Xth 2007: LL releases the client code
Jan 25-9th: MW releases his server emulator onto one of the forums, me & a few others are intrigued.
Feb?: MW/lbsa/Gareth/me are the first committers
Feb->July: We rewrite the code from scratch at least 4 times.
... settling on '0.2' which forms the basis of a lot of the current architecture ...
July: SDague from IBM gets signoff to start committing code to OpenSim.
... *stuff happens* ...
Today.

Adam