[Opensim-dev] How Was OpenSim "Born"?

Len Brown lenwbrown at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 10:40:12 UTC 2010

Hello everyone!

     I know that the various versions of the viewer are derived from Linden
Lab releasing the viewer source code as open source, but what about the
server side of things?

     Is what we now call OpenSim the result of taking what we know about the
viewer and working backwards to how we presume the server pushes the
information to it?  This would be my guess.

     I don't ever recall there being any releases of the early server source
code ever made available.  This thought hit me when I started wondering how
Open Simulator originated if the Linden Lab server source was never made
publicly available.

     The Open Simulator site dist directory goes back to OpenSim 0.4 so I'm
a bit mystified.  I started messing with OpenSim at version 0.6 and on.

     Thanks for any info offered on this topic.  I've been active in Second
Life since December 2003 and am just wanting to flesh out a bit of the
historical side of things, when it comes to OpenSim beginnings.

--
- Len W. Brown
  lenwbrown at gmail.com