[Opensim-dev] personal plea on patents

Cristina Videira Lopes lopes at ics.uci.edu
Thu Feb 4 21:26:12 UTC 2010

Conspiracy theories aside, there's nothing mysterious here. Someone
dropped us a link on Monday morning on the IRC to a bunch of patent
applications filed within the last 2 years by a large corporation (not
Microsoft) which seemed to follow closely some technical details of
OpenSim. That, in itself, was a bit worrisome. But more worrisome to
me was the story behind the discovery of such patent applications: the
person who dropped us the link is trying to patent something related
to OpenSim, and his lawyers bumped into those previous applications.

Which made me realize the pressures that are going on here. First,
while large corporations are well-oiled machines for producing patent
applications of dubious merit, they are also the ones that can afford
to hire people who understand the benefits of working in the public
domain -- like the people from IBM and Intel who have been
participating in OpenSim from the beginning. Hopefully that will
balance out ok. Second, in the US, individual entrepreneurs usually
face the question "where is your IP?" from investors. Entrepreneurs
using OpenSim are no exception. I feel sorry, but ultimately it's
their decision to succumb to the pressure or convince their investors
that patents, in this case, are a waste of everyone's time and money.
Use me as excuse,  if needed. I have just become enemy #1 of any
patent application that vaguely tries to grab OpenSim infrastructure
-- it will be crushed or made irrelevant.

Diva / Crista