[Opensim-dev] Mumble voice

Matti Kuonanoja matti.kuonanoja at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 05:35:11 UTC 2010

Hi,

I noticed that there have been some interest to use Mumble for voice
in this mailing list during the last year so this might interest some
of you.

I'm working to implement in-world voice functionality for realXtend
platform and we are using Mumble (http://mumble.sourceforge.net/) for
that.

The idea to use Mumble for virtual environment voice is to setup one
or more Mumble voice servers dedicated to regions. The viewers can
then request mumble server information and establish voice stream
connections.

We have been testing Mumble technology for a short time now and
current version of Naali viewer is capable to use external Mumble
client application for voice communication. Currently we are
integrating Mumble client to Naali viewer and implementing voice
communication UI.

Our server side mumble module is Opensim region module and can be used
with normal Opensim servers.

You can find more information about our work here:

Mumble integration plan: http://wiki.realxtend.org/index.php/Mumble_integration
Naali Mumble module:   http://github.com/mattiku/naali/tree/libmumble
Taiga Mumble module:   http://github.com/mattiku/taiga/tree/mumble-voice

If you have some thoughts about voice communication in virtual
environments I'm interest to hear them.

Cheers,

Matti Kuonanoja
realXtend developer