[Opensim-dev] Presenting unga: UGAIM grid servers with PHP

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Thu Apr 8 16:23:37 UTC 2010

Hi,

"The methods the simulator needs" have changed considerably from 0.6.x
to pre-0.7. Hence the good advice that many people have voiced that you
look into what's coming rather than looking into the past. Looking into
what's coming means looking in pre-0.7 code, OpenSim.Services.Interfaces
-- those are the interfaces that the simulator needs implemented
somewhere. Also look here for info about the services:
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/0.7_Planning

Another thing that changed was that now the simulator does not impose
any particular on-the-wire protocol for accessing the services. Yes,
there are reference implementations (OpenSim.Services.Connectors)
designed specifically for the ROBUST service implementations, so you may
want your service infrastructure to respond to those -- and that would
make your infrastructure different from SimianGrid. But you may want to
make your infrastructure more immune to changes in OpenSim core
reference implementations, rely  on the abstract Interfaces only, and do
your own C# connectors. That is exactly what the SimmianGrid
infrastructure did/does.

Alternatively, you may want to wait until 0.7 comes out, followed by
documentation, which would be fine too.

[Before projects reach a certain level of maturity and write down their
extension "contracts", it's wise for extenders to keep a very close
watch over what's going on in core development. The "alpha-ness" of
OpenSim at this point is not so much in the instability of the run-time,
but in the instability of the extension interfaces. In my view, we're
almost reaching the point of maturity that will take us out of alpha,
but we're not quite there yet.]

Crista / Diva