[Opensim-dev] Presenting unga: UGAIM grid servers with PHP

Impalah Shenzhou impalah at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 15:00:30 UTC 2010

Hi:

For those of you who could be interested I have uploaded to sourceforge the
code and documentation for unga, my UGAIM server projects programmed in PHP
and based on Code Igniter framework.

I haven't finished yet all the testing, but is 100% operative for Apache
(windows & *IX) and php 5.2.X (5.3 NO!). It should work with all the opensim
0.6.X versions, but maybe some methods are not implemented yet (overall
presence).

My tests have been done with 3 opensim servers running on different machines
(an old Intel celeron 512 mb ram, one Intel core duo 3Gb ram and a brand new
Amd64 4Gb ram) serving 6 regions each with a media of 4000 objects per
region (2 of the regions have 18000 prims). I have used 4 avatar for the
tests... yes... they are few, I know. I will try tests with libopenmetaverse
bots in the near future.

Warning: the database model is almost totally incompatible with current
opensim/Robust (I am developing a migration method actually) so, right now,
please don't use unga for serving existing grids.

I haven't finished all the docs, and interesting sections about integrated
caching, for example, are not event started, but I think the main docs
should allow anyone with minimal knodlegge about apache to run an unga grid.

So... the links:

   - Project page on sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/unga/
   - Documentation wiki (install instructions, project dos...):
https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/unga

The last thing... unga is only another alternative or a complement to
ROBUST. It has all the advantages and glitches of any application deployed
on a web server. In this case, I feel more confortable having a well tested
web server controlling all the "under http" stuff. PHP was only the
inmediate language to make unga possible, but my future plans include the
migration to Python platforms/frameworks (Django and Tornado).

Enjoy it.

Greetings

    Impalah