[Opensim-dev] The notion of "core"

Edward Middleton emiddleton at bebear.net
Tue Oct 20 13:43:59 UTC 2009

Teravus Ovares wrote:
> ... Your argument was that the advent of the distributed source control
> system made the 'commit right vote' obsolite, ...

My point was that,  with a DVCS, "commit rights" are really just the
right to release manage the official repository.  Anyone can trivially
fork both privately or publically, they can easily merge official or
unofficial changes.

This has a lot benefits for projects, but it does change the notion of
control in the project.

> My argument was that the source control system doesn't dictate the
> type of community an open source project has.

No they don't, but they do put constraints on what sort of development
process are feasible.  Look a the Linux kernel process, it wouldn't be
feasible with a centralized version control system like subversion.

Edward