[Opensim-dev] The notion of "core"

Dr Scofield DrScofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net
Tue Oct 20 09:21:25 UTC 2009

Ryan McDougall wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Frisby, Adam <adam at deepthink.com.au> wrote:
>> I disagree.
>>
>> * Commit Rights - those discussions cannot occur in public (although the discussion archives are open to committers after being invited), the reason for this is no-one can be frank & honest without hurting people's feelings.
>
> Firstly, I did waive discussion for commit access. I also waive money
> and legal matters.
>
> Secondly, I disagree with the logic of the link, as it's premised
> entirely on being honest might hurt someone's feelings. Honesty is not
> a function of secrecy.

i think honesty can be a facilitated by a discussion remaining confidential.

> And the case of "there was a long drawn out
> discussion about me in which I was not able to represent my myself"
> causing hurt feelings is not considered.

i can see that point, but i can also see the points made by adam respectively
the points made in the F/OSS guidebook --- in balance (my personal one) i'd
rather have core committers discuss whether i should have voting rights in private.

> Thirdly, I don't think snowcrash thing is about giving him commit
> access. I don't think things are as neatly compartmentalized as is
> told (though I could be wrong, it's hard to guess from a secret
> mailing list).

no, you are right on that one. it's a discussion about our understanding of
licensing issues and whether there is indeed an issue here or not.

re compartmentalized: they are, at least we try very hard to.

	DrS
--
dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- drscofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/