[Opensim-dev] OpenSim 0.7 Release Candidate with ALL working OpenSim Modules

Mark Malewski mark.malewski at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 00:36:20 UTC 2009

*> My thoughts are simple every 4-6 months lockdown all of the
> refactoring and recoding stuff get things stable and then do a formal**> release get
something that works out and then go back to "playing"*
*> with the code
*
See this is exactly what I was thinking.  We are constantly evolving so
quickly that nothing really works, and OpenSim just stays "broken" and there
is no such thing as a "formal release".

I understand OpenSim is still Alpha, but could we at least try to put out
ONE single release (a 0.7 release) that is usable, and then go back to
developing and then we'll wait till a 1.0 release comes out.

But at least we'll have something stable, where all the modules work, and we
have something stable for the non-dev's to use?

*> As far as the "we don't do distros" thing is YES YOU SHOULD
> its called the "Reference Server Platform"*

I do agree that we should at least put out a stable distro every 4-6 months.
 A 0.7 Release would really be a good time to put out a distro.  Could we at
least try to get everything working, and create ONE single stable release?

I certainly don't mind helping with putting out a 0.7 distro, and working on
updating documentation for it, and even testing it (and submitting bug
reports) but can we just stop and focus for a bit and work on bug fixes, and
just releasing a SINGLE STABLE release?

I'd even be willing to be a P.O.C. for module testing, and even test/verify
modules, so that they could even be bundled/included in a working release.
So at least we have a nice STABLE release that people can use?

                    Mark