[Opensim-dev] Implemented oar merge facility

Chris Hart Chris at codetorque.co.uk
Fri Nov 27 21:54:48 UTC 2009

Partially in response to this thread, and in response to Justin's latest
commit to implement web loading of OAR files (which he also kindly added
to 0.6.8-post-fixes) - Justin enabled the following as valid syntax:

Load oar http://path.to/oarfile.oar

So you can host OAR files on a web server and now load them without
having them locally.

That said, from looking at the code changes, this has actually been
possible for a long time if you have registered the mime type for .oar
on your web server.

On a website hosted on a Windows server with IIS7 I just added the file
extension .oar and set it to serve up "application/x-oar" and
successfully loaded an OAR file from the web onto an OpenSim 0.6.6
system. Those of you out there familiar with registering mime types on
other web application platforms such as Apache can likely do the same.

Just thought I'd drop this in here in case it helps anyone :)

Chris