[Opensim-dev] Trust & distributed grids

Marc Adored marc at inworlddesigns.com
Tue Nov 24 16:53:41 UTC 2009

I suggest a centralized system thats decentralized :P kind of like a
cloud computing setup. It all seems centralized to the naked eye but a
lot of decentralized things go on. This can be done 2 ways as I see
it. Both ways require OpenSim to allow multiple authentication
servers. 1 way which would work for not breaking compatibility with
current viewers would be to have a central domain they connect to that
is adjusted to different authentication servers based on load. Like a
round robin setup but controlled by OpenSim. This like I said is best
for not breaking current viewers but requires some type of interaction
with a dns server. The second would be to modify the viewers to simply
query the routing server which would tell the viewer which
authentication server would be best to use at that moment. This would
also work pretty well with the asset servers too but I believe this
topic is about authentication methods.

OpenID I don't have an opinion on it because it doesn't really benefit
the project load and scalability wise because it would still need to
be matched to an existing account on the grid. If anything it adds
another step to the authentication process which can create more load.

My knowledge in cloud computing is rather new so maybe some of this
doesn't make sense but hopefully you guys will get what i am saying. A
lot of scalability can be added by using a database system that scales
well. MySQL is notoriously not scalable and a load monster. I know
that there is already some stuff in there for different database
systems so this might be already on its way.