[Opensim-dev] Trust & distributed grids

Robert A. Knop Jr. rknop at pobox.com
Tue Nov 24 14:14:52 UTC 2009

I don't know that this really *is* offtopic, unless it's already a
settled issue amongs the OpenSim devs.

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 02:19:20PM +0100, Impalah Shenzhou wrote:
> I could trust in you, but you need to tell me "you are really you" with a
> local login (i.e. email headers can be altered to impersonate as another
> person) or someone I trust should tell it to me (i.e. OpenID).

Do you have any personal web pages anywhere?  Do you run any CGI or any
PHP there?  Do you identify everybody who comes there?  That's the
analogy we should think about.  Yes, we need a secure infrastructure so
that only the small number of people you *really* trust can do scary
things.  But at the level of running regions -- well, you may be using a
hosting provider, or you may be hosting yourself, but you don't need
full and complete trust that everybody is who they claim to be just to
connect to the world.

--
--Rob Knop
  E-mail:    rknop at pobox.com