[Opensim-dev] Leaving Project

J Ross Nicoll jrn2005 at cs.st-andrews.ac.uk
Tue Nov 24 13:37:44 UTC 2009

If you want to get deep into trust issues, the AW Groupies on Second Life, and/or Zero Linden's (once monthly) office hour would be good places to ask...

The short answer though is we'd expect to see a number of "trust sources", and you then tell your grid to trust grids they approve (much like saying you'll take credit cards that Visa say are valid). Does that make sense?

On 24 Nov 2009, at 13:19, Impalah Shenzhou wrote:

> Yes and no.
>
> I am not talking about 2 friends connecting their sims, I am thinking in thousands. I can't have in my computer a database with thousands of "trusted" users... well I can, but I don't want to waste space.
>
> Visa, Paypal, American Express, etc... all are trusted organizations. When you make a monetary transaction you (or the web where you are, or the bank that web uses...) will always connect with one of these "trusted" services.
>
> I could trust in you, but you need to tell me "you are really you" with a local login (i.e. email headers can be altered to impersonate as another person) or someone I trust should tell it to me (i.e. OpenID).
>
> Sorry for the off-off-topic :-(
>

> 2009/11/24 Robert A. Knop Jr. <rknop at pobox.com>
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:42:28AM +0100, Impalah Shenzhou wrote:
> > How can I trust anyone who hasn't been authorized through a well known
> > trusting system?
>
> The same way you trust people you meet through e-mail, the same way you
> trust websites from which you purchase things and to which you give your
> credit card.  There doesn't have to be a single central authority
> controlling all identity and holding all data for you to be able to
> trust something enough to do business with it.
>
> --
> --Rob Knop
>  E-mail:    rknop at pobox.com
>  Home Page: http://www.pobox.com/~rknop/
>  Blog:      http://www.sonic.net/~rknop/blog/

---

Please CC all MMS related e-mails to fixit-mms at st-andrews.ac.uk.

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland: No
SC013532.