[Opensim-dev] Is the message "Please wait 5 minutes" still needed?

Arthur Valadares arthursv at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri May 29 21:59:21 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

I wanted to consult you all about this matter, even though I have
already committed some related code. I will gladly change it if we
decide to do things differently.

Once upon a time, there seemed to be a necessity that you had to wait 5
minutes if you crashed and tried to log back in. Those were the days
before my time, tales that the elder tells us by the fireside. After
these days, when I started messing around with OpenSim, there was a bug
that would kick you after a few minutes if you tried to log back on
without waiting. This was also fixed (thanks Crista!), which leads me to
my question. Why are we still getting this message?

Well, the only purpose I can think of is it warns you that you either
crashed last time or that someone is using your account. Either way,
something went wrong and the user might want to know that.

So the code I committed puts an option in standalone that allows you to
skip this message and just let OpenSim kick the old user and connect the
new one, kind of like what happens in messengers if you logon from a
different location. This is very useful when you have softwares that
encapsulate the login process and doesn't want to leave the user looking
at the viewer's login page with a failed message.

So, should this become standard and just skip and kick, or should we
leave it up to configuration? Opinions please..

--
Arthur Valadares <arthursv at linux.vnet.ibm.com>