[Opensim-dev] Memory cache

diva at metaverseink.com diva at metaverseink.com
Wed May 27 15:47:16 UTC 2009

Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
> fyi, the GlynnTucker library was being used until recently in the original
> OpenSim/Framework/Communications/Cache/AssetCache.cs, which is why it's there.

Ahhh! That explains the mystery. Sorry, it's hard to put all these
historical pieces together, I only started looking at this last week
with the switch to the new services architecture. I was under the
impression that the old "AssetCache" used Framework/Cache.cs, but that
is not so; it used a GlynnTucker cache! That makes a lot more sense.

> It seems incredible that performance would be better without a cache unless available memory is extremely low.

Everything makes sense to me now, mystery explained. On the one hand,
Melanie's switching from the GlynnTucker cache to Framework/Cache.cs
made things work badly for the cache module (CoreAssetCache), because
Framework/Cache.cs seems to have buglets. On the other hand, Melanie's
getting rid of "AssetCache" altogether made fetching assets from the
server work about 10 times faster. When we put together the new async
mechanism for retrieving assets with the old GlynTucker cache things
work really well, and that's what we're seeing :-)