[Opensim-dev] Memory cache

diva at metaverseink.com diva at metaverseink.com
Wed May 20 17:02:40 UTC 2009

Here's an unexpected outcome of the wobbling last weekend.

Many sims in OSGrid are now experiencing huge performance improvements,
both in memory consumption and general speed --  much faster teleports,
script loadings, etc. This got me completely puzzled, because we didn't
do anything to address that, it came from nowhere.

Well, here's what happened. Sometime last weekend, Melanie changed the
name of one of the new configuration variables from AssetCaching to
AssetCache. This happened *after* Nebadon had tested the new
architecture early that weekend, in which the old name was used. As he
updated the plazas, he didn't notice the name change. As a result, the
asset cache module is disabled on his sims, because of the name
mismatch. And since everyone in OSGrid has been copying the config vars
from Nebadon's, this has been spreading like a virus :-)

Conclusion: empirical evidence coming from an experiment that no one
planned shows that our asset cache is a major performance bottleneck!