[Opensim-dev] breaking OpenSim.ini changes

diva at metaverseink.com diva at metaverseink.com
Wed May 20 03:00:23 UTC 2009

"Don't panic!"

Here's what's going on. Melanie is doing massive coding in a  parallel
set of projects in trunk, without touching [much] the existing code.
Those projects are completely new code. Some of it are new servers; some
of it are connectors between the simulator and the [new and old]
services. Nothing is particularly unstable, because that new code
doesn't run... that is, until I come in to the simulator code and start
replacing the existing glue code (AssetCache/Local/OGS1/Hypergrid) with
the new connectors, and add their new configuration variables to .ini.

What happened last weekend, and the reason why it went wobbly for a
couple of days, is that I did that for the old AssetCache, which is now
an IAssetService with those configurations that Nebadon already sent out
several times.

I am *not* going to do the changes for the other services until four
things happen:
(1) I finish writing documentation about this software architecture.
Bear with me. Melanie is faster at coding than I am at writing this, but
it's coming to life.
(2) We have a discussion here on the -dev mailing list about it, pros
and cons, concerns, comments, wishes, etc.
(3) There is general agreement that this is AGoodThing(tm).
(4) If (3), we make a plan for transitioning the simulator to these new
connectors in a way that is a smooth as possible.