[Opensim-dev] Collada as Model Format

Dzonatas Sol dzonatas at gmail.com
Mon May 18 07:13:49 UTC 2009

(plain text set)

A physics engine that internally handles COLLADA data directly?
Possible, but surely not practical for performance. This is why the
COLLADA standard defines refineries to convert and optimize formats. The
COLLADA tool chain needs to compile DAE files like gcc compiles C/C++
files. The physics engine should be able to handle the compiled output
as if no COLLADA support was added in the build options.

It's not the first time I seen people look directly at the XML schema
and try to support that directly, like they somehow missed the refinery
process or thought it wasn't needed.

A real-time COLLADA refinery built into the engine... maybe sometime in
the future with extra cores to spare. Still, it doesn't make sense since
the DAE file has much more than physical data.

COLLADA used to exchange assets...  +1

COLLADA used as built-in to a real-time render engine... -1