[Opensim-dev] WARNING: r9562 may break things

MW michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 15 16:20:20 UTC 2009

The main concern I have is that the whole empty shell for servers and then loading services sounds exactly like myself and mikkopa having been doing in the GenericGridServerConcept branch. The way it works is that there is a single base server that loads plugins, the plugins can be any service. At the moment the plugins/services are the logic from the current user server and grid server. As we were taking it one step at a time and just getting the base architecture. So with the base server you could have it so it could load all the plugins and act as a combined user server and grid server (and any other services in the future) or have separate servers for each as we have now. It also uses ini (nini) to config the servers and plugins. But of course the work isn't finished, but everyone could have worked on it and improved it.

The reason this was done in a branch is because its big changes and I wanted to get it into some working condition before it went into trunk. Also the fact that it hadn't been talked about in enough details to get a agreement on if it should go into trunk.

Now I'm not saying that work in what we should have in trunk. I'm just saying there is that work going on, and anyone can get involved in it. And we should be working together to make it into what we want. But instead we have the situation where we have this new idea what sounds a lot like what has been done in the branch but rather all of us work together we have ended up we two concurrent work in progresses.

I'm completely fine with going with a different architecture to the one in the branch, although it does sound very similar to melanie's idea anyway. But really we should talk about what is wrong with the current work that is going on in that branch. Not just ignore it and start on her own idea without proper input. We are a team and we have to work as a team.

So my problem isn't with the architecture, far from it from what has been described, just the problem is the way its been done. Not enough details of the plan had been published and just ignoring other current work, what just doesn't help with the future of the project if everyone just goes off and does there own thing, even if thats duplication other current work.

Anyway I think if nothing else this just goes to show there is no point in us doing anything in branches ever again.