[Opensim-dev] Keeping track of deployed oar files

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at ozlabs.org
Fri Mar 27 13:13:34 UTC 2009

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 17:10:27 +0000
Justin Clark-Casey <jjustincc at googlemail.com> wrote:
> To be honest, I think this is going to be the best way.  Or possibly the version number could be inserted into 'about
> land' once OAR files support parcel information (which they don't yet).  If you do want to automatically insert details
> into these fields then maybe another module could do this automatically when a save oar event is received, though this
> would require some reworking of the code and a module specific mechanism in the absence of a generic one.

The oar files all go into a version control system and ideally the
version identifier would get inserted at commit time (as happens
commonly with source code files), but given the oar file would need to
be unpacked and a new UUID generated for the edited asset it makes it a
rather non trivial process.

> I have no problem with an embedded timestamp in the archive control xml, but I'm not so sure about machine name - this
> is identifying information that I wouldn't be keen about casually releasing.

Ok. I don't really need a machine name and in practice a timestamp to
the second resolution would be unique enough.

> The obvious place to persist this data would be in RegionInfo and the regions table.  But I'm not sure what this field
> would be called or whether it could be one that wasn't tightly tied to archive information (since the vast majority of
> regions don't come from archives).

I think I'd work on the basis that the field would just be blank if an
oar file had never been loaded into this region. Thanks for the advice
- I'll have a go at implementing this.

Regards,

Chris
--