[Opensim-dev] density

Teravus Ovares teravus at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 00:07:22 UTC 2009

Interesting thoughts.

Currently they are configurable.  Though, there's nothing to say that
material rubber has different settings then material plywood.

There's also no defined procedure for changing the settings.    One of
the reasons being...   it's something that's partially mathematic and
partially qualitative (does this object react well to being hit with a
train?).

I believe that all current LSL scripts that are worth their weight in
$L get the mass of the avatar first..  and multiply the intended
forces by it to get the 'effective' force..  so you're right in that
the default density of avatar makes no difference to scripts.    The
PID controller, however, is specifically tuned.   I'm sure there have
been some people who have changed some of the properties and saw weird
things happen like avatar go through walls when flying at high speeds
in certain directions or falling through objects as a result.

Anyway, I think what ckrinke is advocating here is a group of physics
settings based on material.

Regards

Teravus