[Opensim-dev] Couple questions on scripts

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Thu Mar 19 19:23:13 UTC 2009

Hi,

basically, to answer "yes" to your question #1, ALL of the following
must be true:

- The grid must be owned and operated by a single entity
- Said entity must have a TOS, statement and/or track record of
respecting content creators' rights
- No outside regions can connect
- No outside persons can access the shell or database of the grid

It would be up to you to determine whether you trust the operator of
the grid. Currently a few such grids exist.

Generally, if a grid allows outside connections or Hypergridding, it
is not safe.

However, hypergrid is moving towards a safe way to distribute
content from authenticating asset/inventory servers. Eventually this
may lead to signed binary assemblies being passed around the
simulators, with the region operators trusting the certificates.
However, this will likely not prevent retention of copies of the
goods, so the above points about trusting the operators still apply.
Even though your script source code can't be stolen in this future
scenario, permissions as we know them today could easily be
circumvented.

Melanie