[Opensim-dev] Accessing textures via HTTP [bayes]

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 18:08:27 UTC 2009

The current j2k assets transferred over via the xfer protocol provides a
rudimentary protection for texture assets. Opening the doors to jpeg
textures via http effectively makes all textures available for download by
any web browser. This is significantly reduced asset security and may
violate license distribution agreements for existing texture assets.
Any position to reduce asset security in such a manner may be seen as
hostile toward copyright holders of existing content.

Personally I will *not* allow any of my non-open content to be distributed
in this manner.