[Opensim-dev] Round 2: Config changes preview

Mark Malewski mark.malewski at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 20:01:30 UTC 2009

Paul,

I know some people "boink" a configuration file (I've done this once or
twice myself) where you make a configuration change, and then suddenly
OpenSim fails to start (or crashes).  Personally, I just copy my  current
"opensim.ini" file to "opensim.ini.bak" (before making any changes) and then
make the changes on the opensim.ini, and if anything doesn't work properly
(or as expected) then I can just revert back to my ".bak" file.

I believe the "OpenSim.ini.example" file is just a default vanilla template
that people can reference (if they wish to see the original "out of the box"
default settings).  I have no problem with leaving the .example file in the
directory, because sometimes I do reference it (just to see what the
original default settings are/were).

I would really prefer to keep all the configuration settings in one single
file, and I would actually really prefer to just rename the "OpenSim.ini"
file to "config.ini" instead of OpenSim.ini.

It seems to be a standard practice, and if you look at PHP, MySQL, Apache,
they all seem to have a standard single config file (config.ini, or
config.php) that holds the majority of the settings.

I vote to keep a single ini file, and it would be nice if it was renamed to
"config.ini" (instead of OpenSim.ini) but those are just my 2 cents.

         Mark