[Opensim-dev] OpenSim dll for use by other programs

MW michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 14 11:38:14 UTC 2009

Good questions.

While OpenSim.Framework should be a general framework/library that can be used in other programs, it has very much turned out to be more of a internal framework for building the various opensim servers.

Also there is a question of if opensim.framework should actually have service classes like your rest sending, or be more for the base classes and data structures.

I really dislike the OpenSim.Framework.Communications project, as its turned out to really be a place where a lot of things have been dumped when we wasn't sure where else to put them. And I really want to split that up and cut it down. A lot of it will be moved out once I finish with moving the comms manager stuff to modules.

So I think the best solution from where we find ourselves is to go with another namespace. Either OpenSim.Lib or OpenSim.Services. I've been thinking of a services namespace a little bit recently as there are a number of service classes/modules that could be shared between regions and UGAIM servers. So don't fit into either's namespace, but don't really fit in any of the existing framework namespaces either. Although I did also think of a OpenSim.Framework.Services namespace.

Anyway I'm not sure about using OpenSimLib though, as all the rest of the namespaces have the OpenSim.XXXX format. So think we most likely should keep to that. So OpenSim.Lib?

Hmm, also there is the opensim-lib part of svn where we keep things like our modifications to libomv. So is there going to be confusion with that?