[Opensim-dev] Round 2: Config changes preview

Ralf Haifisch ralf at ralf-haifisch.biz
Sat Mar 14 11:15:30 UTC 2009

I am not writing code here..

I do opensim for my personal passion and for the believe as a 3D web
standard.

Being an IT-Pro I speak to customers (sponsor / CIO level) about that from
time to time.
And opensim gets by architecture a better acceptance, that SL does.

Furthermore, while not sharing the opinions sometimes - I love to see people
discussing about security or (here) maintaining infrastructure of different
sizes.

I would love to see the option to get the config via http (what means, a
small part where to get must be local).

A "config master file" with overrides by more in depth smaller things per
simulator would be nice, yes.

But there is a point I strongly agree with Melanie.

I don´t follow the discussion any more - I got lost.

My stomach says, that (while I still believe other breeds than dev are able
to think  *gg*) newbies will get totally lost.

I have put much effort in building a german community and did many "support
hours"..  this seems to be most likely unsupportable.

So - since I want the features, but not the pain:

Could we have some graphics (folder structure - sequence of
reading/overriding settings - ...) on oensimulator.org somewhere ?   that
would at least make it easier to follow, decide (for now) and troubleshoot
(in future).

Cheers,
Ralf